Bush's attitude

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 30 12:39:04 MDT 2003

>From today's news conference, as reported in (for example)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2184-2003Jul30.html

"Look, in my line of work, it's always best to produce results, and I
understand that," Bush said during a 52-minute news conference in the Rose
Garden's summer sun. "In order to, you know, placate the critics and the
cynics about intentions of the United States, we need to produce evidence.
And I fully understand that. And I'm confident that our search will yield
that which I strongly believe: that Saddam had a weapons program."

We need to find a "weapons program" (no longer "actual weapons", of course )
not to make the war legal (not that it would, of course), or to validate the
deaths of more than 200 American soldiers and thousands, probably more than
10,000, Iraqi civilians (and uncounted more Iraqi soldiers), or to confirm
that the alleged weapons were not given to terrorists (that being one of the
major justifications for the invasion), but to "placate the critics and the
cynics."

Jesus, could HE be any more cynical?

And could he and Tony Blair be any more ridiculous, with both of them
claiming that they "strongly believe" (Tony Blair's words were even stronger
- " I believe with every fiber of instinct and conviction I have that we are
[right]") that Iraq had a weapons program [and he doesn't mean years before,
he means immediately before the invasion]? How on earth could you "strongly
believe" this when 90 days after the fall of Baghdad not a shred of evidence
has turned up to support this belief? Shouldn't you at least have SOME
reasonable suspicion that you were wrong, even if you did believe it before
the invasion? [I don't actually think Bush & Co. really DID believe it at
any time, but that's another story]