Progressive Palestinian Hip Hop

Danielle Ni Dhighe danielle at irsm.org
Sat Mar 1 18:56:54 MST 2003

Iron Sheik is a progressive Palestinian hip hop artist who raps about
the Occupation and other political issues.

http://www.ironsheik.biz/

"Olive Trees"

Trouble began before 1948
When Zionists founded the Israeli state
See Zionism called for a Jewish homeland
But they picked Palestine as a land with no man
One major flaw with all of this:
They forgot the indigenous populace!
Native Arab Muslims and Christians
Didn't they notice that something was missing?
They left native Arabs all out of their view
Zionism's goals were heavily skewed
Newcomers settled up in the country-side
In separation just like Apartheid
Jewish roads, schools, and hospitals
But also paramilitary patrols

These are the seeds of '48
 From colonial control to the Jewish state
It's not a mistake, though
It's not a mistake, no
Life in exile, is that our fate?
Life in exile, is that our fate?
Life in exile, is that our fate?

They exiled us and stole our homes
Now all we have are old keys and new poems
They turned us into refugees
And uprooted us like our olive trees
...olive trees

In 1917 the British gave away our nation
With Lord Balfour's muthafreakin' declaration
They had no right to give it away
But guess what?
They did it anyway!
And once again the natives had no say
You know the British acted like they ruled the earth
And the Israelis think they got it by birth
Yeah right man!
Who lived on this land?
And who had to use force with their hand?
I'm surprised by this, they should know better
Then to move on our land as a settler
I mean that word says it all
Some say it's not their choice, that it's God's call
But to me that's called Manifest Destiny
I thought that went out of style in the last century
Now we're held captive to their public opinion
As a Palestinian feel more like an Indian
Driven into reservations
Living under occupation
As a shattered nation
A western creation

They exiled us and stole our homes
Now all we have are old keys and new poems
They turned us into refugees
And uprooted us like our olive trees
...olive trees

Last time, I went jogging in the park
But now we can't go outside
Cuz we'll get shot
Or Benjamin Netanyahu might like to put it:
We jumped in front of that Israeli bullet
But who can believe what that muthafucka say
He gotta be the biggest yoohoo alive today
So I searched Yahoo for who's the most sinister
It came back with Israel's current prime minister
Ariel Sharon, a real cabron
I'd like to meet him in a dark alley and it's on
He'd be the Penguin and I'd be Batman
My flurry of fists would sink that fat man
Like the Titanic
It's time to panic
I can't stand it
Cuz were heading for the bottom of the Atlantic
Israel and America's a sinking ship
If we don't change it soon we're going down with it

They exiled us and stole our homes
Now all we have are old keys and new poems
They turned us into refugees
And uprooted us like our olive trees

***

Also see the lyrics to his anti-war rap:
http://www.ironsheik.biz/oilanthem.html