Detroit events

Charles Brown BrownBingb at aol.com
Mon Mar 3 08:50:22 MST 2003

Film Feast

for

Knowledge and Power

At the Detroit Public Library - 5201 Woodward

General Public $20, Students & Seniors $10

April 4thâ€"6th

5201 Woodward

Sponsored by
National Lawyer’s Guild and The National Conference of Black Lawyers
Wayne State’s Africana Studies Department
The Detroit Public Library
African Women Economic Consortium (AWEC) and
Operation Get Down

“The past is never dead, it is not even past.” (William Faulkner)

Mission Statement

Recognizing that we cannot move forward without understanding our
past, our presentation of films that arose out of concrete struggles,
will inform our current effort to create strategies for the
future. These films bring to life the basis for our future
struggles. Education about our history is the most important source of
a vision for the future. Film Feast for Knowledge and Power is a
three-day extravaganza that will encompass various historical
documentaries, workshops, panel discussions and keynote addresses
emphasizing the importance of remembering our history.

Featuring

Panther Women
Finally Got the News and Salt of the Earth
The Emmett Till and Strange Fruit

All films are accompanied w/discussions or workshops!

Charity Dinner w/ Amiri Baraka

For the Prove Program and Helping Our Prisoners Elevate (HOPE)

At Plymouth Unitarian Church of Christ

600 E. Warren (corner of Warren and Beaubien)

Fee for Charity Dinner is $35.00 and two books, students $15 and 2 books

Poetry Jam Session Immediately Following

For more information contact

Ron Glotta at (313) 963-1320 or Stephanie Gollman at (313) 577-7769

(Labor donated)

Respectfully, Stephanie Gollman

p.s. I can not emphasize enough the need for attendance at the Charity Dinner
which is for a very worthy cause. All proceeds go to sending women and men
coming out of prison to college. I look forward to working with you all to
uplift our community.