Sign the Moveon.org UN Petition

M. Junaid Alam redjaguar at attbi.com
Thu Mar 6 12:42:07 MST 2003

Dear MoveOn member,

The response to our emergency petition to the U.N. Security Council has
been nothing short of extraordinary.  Less than two days after the
petition was launched, over 550,000 people have signed, from over 200
countries.  It's a strong message from the peoples of the world that the
Security Council
should support tough inspections in Iraq, not war.  It's also
the fastest-growing online petition we've ever seen -- and
already one of the largest in history.

Thanks for being a part of this enormous success.  With your help, we
can make it even bigger.  Please let your friends and colleagues know
about the petition by sending them a short note and this email.  They
can sign up at:

   http://www.moveon.org/emergency/

We've pushed back our delivery date to Monday -- our sources
at the U.N. tell us that's when it'll make the most waves. We need to
send the petition to press on Friday night, but we'd like to have as
many signers as possible by that time.  If each person who signed the
petition gets a few friends to sign, we'll easily reach our 750,000 goal
-- but it has to happen today.

Please take a moment to let your friends know about this important
initiative.  With your help, we can make an even
bigger impact on the U.N. Security Council.

Sincerely,
--Carrie, Eli, Joan, Peter, Wes, and Zack
  The MoveOn Team
  March 6th, 2003

P.S. Our petition was launched in cooperation with the American Friends
Service Committee, who have a terrific website that provides resources
and information on the crisis in Iraq.  Check
it out at:

   http://www.afsc.org/iraq/

P.P.S. Yesterday, our local ad went up in over 111 local
newspapers across the nation, our billboards are now up in
Detroit, San Francisco and L.A., and our "Inspections Work. War
Won't." message is on a quarter of all the busses in Washington
D.C.  The financial support of MoveOn members for these
initiatives has been overwhelming -- you funded over 100 local
ads in less than a day!

One note of caution about giving to good causes: Never give your
credit card number over the phone in response to any telephone
solicitation.  And only give online or by mail to organizations
you know and trust (like us).

Thanks for making this work possible.

Some links:

Our "No link" ad that ran in 111 newspapers yesterday:
http://www.moveon.org/localads/localad.pdf

Our billboard and busses layout: http://www.moveon.org/billboards/

How to donate to MoveOn.org:
http://www.moveon.org/support.html