[NCAN] Carter's stance: Attack on Iraq now not a "just war"

Jacob Levich jlevich at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 9 07:51:33 MST 2003

Carter's last sentence is telling. Looks like what the liberal
establishment is suggesting is that UN weapons inspections can now be used
as a perpetual excuse for a massive, and massively armed, ongoing US
military presence in the Gulf.

It's a solution for the sectors of the Establishment that are primarily
worried about "instability" in Saudi Arabia and other Muslim countries. It
won't do for the sectors that want to unlock Iraqi oil as an economic and
geopolitical magic bullet, and/or launch serial conquests of "failed states".

jake