When Did American Jewish support for Israel Solidify?

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 9 12:03:50 MST 2003

I'm not sure when these things can be dated and
it seems to me that the rightward drift of some of
Jews who were formerly on the left came out in
different periods for different reasons.

They really, Really, REALLY hate it when fellow
Jews, like myself and others, speak up and speak
out against what Israel does to the Palestinians.
Because Zionism says it represents ALL the
Jewish people, when one of us speaks up and
speaks out, they view us, they slander us, as
being quite literally TREASONOUS to their project.

And there's a certain validity to that and a good
analogy might be the one where Noel Ignatin says
(regarding anti-racism among some whites in a
journal he edits called "Race Traitor" explains that
"Treason to whiteness is loyalty to humanity."

They think it's more devastating when one of
"their own", someone whom they would
describe as "a member of the tribe" shines
the light of justice on the crimes of Israel.

I simply cannot speak to some of my relatives
about this because they're so totally blinded
by their racist hatred of the Palestinians.

My mother used to say "All Arabs should be
shot", which contributed to my being quite as
strongly pro-Palestinian as I am.

Walter Lippmann