War on Iraq IQ test

Jacob Levich jlevich at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 9 19:00:34 MST 2003

This is pretty good, but I spotted one error off the bat.

 >17. Q: How many casualties did the Iraqi military inflict on the western
forces during the Gulf War?
 >A: 0

That's not correct.

The official figures for US troops are:

U.S. casualties: 148 battle deaths, 145 nonbattle deaths
U.S. wounded in action: 467
British casualties: 24, nine by U.S. fire
British wounded in action: 10
French casualties: 2
French wounded in action: 25 (estimated)
Allied Arab casualties: 39

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/gulf.war/facts/gulfwar/ (NB:  CNN uses the
word "casualties" to mean deaths; technically it means soldiers put out of
action due to deaths or serious wounds.)

See also  http://traprockpeace.org/gulfcasualties.html

So Question 17 should read something like:

17. Q: How many deaths did the Iraqi military inflict on the allied
forces during the Gulf War ?

     A: 248

Notes: I substituted "allied" for "western" to avoid confusion over Arab
coalition casualties. "Deaths" is substituted for "casualties" to avoid
confusion due to the common misuse of the term. "Non-battle" deaths --
those from accidents or illnesses --  are excluded.

jake