A reply to Perry Anderson

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 10 14:02:12 MST 2003

>CounterPunch
>March 10, 2003
>
>A Rebuttal of Perry Anderson
>An Unfounded Rush to Cynicism
>By MICHAEL NEUMANN
<snip>
>Anderson makes the same herculean effort to be obtuse when he
>discusses the world's previous acceptance of pre-emptive strikes.
>Israel, in 1967, at least faced a real or imagined threat comparable
>to the US confronting massive armies mobilized in Canada and Mexico,
>not the threat of non-massive armies not mobilized and thousands of
>miles from its borders.

No real or imagined threat to Israel in 1967:

*****   The 1967 War and the Israeli Occupation of the West Bank and Gaza

Did the Egyptians actually start the 1967 war, as Israel originally claimed?

"The former Commander of the Air Force, General Ezer Weitzman,
regarded as a hawk, stated that there was 'no threat of destruction'
but that the attack on Egypt, Jordan and Syria was nevertheless
justified so that Israel could 'exist according the scale, spirit,
and quality she now embodies.'...Menahem Begin had the following
remarks to make: 'In June 1967, we again had a choice. The Egyptian
Army concentrations in the Sinai approaches do not prove that Nasser
was really about to attack us. We must be honest with ourselves. We
decided to attack him.'" Noam Chomsky, "The Fateful Triangle."

Was the 1967 war defenisve? - continued

"I do not think Nasser wanted war. The two divisions he sent to The
Sinai would not have been sufficient to launch an offensive war. He
knew it and we knew it." Yitzhak Rabin, Israel's Chief of Staff in
1967, in Le Monde, 2/28/68

Moshe Dayan posthumously speaks out on the Golan Heights

"Moshe Dayan, the celebrated commander who, as Defense Minister in
1967, gave the order to conquer the Golan...[said] many of the
firefights with the Syrians were deliberately provoked by Israel, and
the kibbutz residents who pressed the Government to take the Golan
Heights did so less for security than for the farmland...[Dayan
stated] 'They didn't even try to hide their greed for the land...We
would send a tractor to plow some area where it wasn't possible to do
anything, in the demilitarized area, and knew in advance that the
Syrians would start to shoot. If they didn't shoot, we would tell the
tractor to advance further, until in the end the Syrians would get
annoyed and shoot.

And then we would use artillery and later the air force also, and
that's how it was...The Syrians, on the fourth day of the war, were
not a threat to us.'" The New York Times, May 11, 1997

<http://www.cactus48.com/1967war.html>   *****

--
Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: