Youssou N'Dour cancels US tour because of Iraq

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Mar 10 17:46:03 MST 2003

YOUSSOU N'DOUR HEAD OFFICE
Route des Almadies, Parcelle No. 8 - Zone 11 - CPTE 63
DAKAR (+221) 865-1039 TEL (+221) 865-1068 FAX

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MARCH 7, 2003

Youssou N'Dour Cancels US Tour Over Threat of War

Youssou N'Dour, the acclaimed Senegalese singer and bandleader and UNICEF
Ambassador, has announced the cancellation of his seven-week tour of North
America, originally scheduled for March 26-May 15. The 38-city tour was to
be the most extensive series of performances in North America in his career.

Youssou N'Dour says, "It is my strong conviction that the responsibility
for disarming Iraq should rest with the United Nations. As a matter of
conscience I question the United States government's apparent intention to
commence war in Iraq. I believe that coming to America at this time would
be perceived in many parts of the world - rightly or wrongly - as support
for this policy, and that, as a consequence, it is inappropriate to perform
in the US at this juncture."

"I understand that there are many in the US who do not support the idea of
their government initiating war in Iraq at this time, and I offer my
greatest respect to them. I also regret the difficulties this causes those
who were to present my concerts in North America and those who were looking
forward to seeing me and my band. This tour was over a year and a half in
the planning and was the greatest commitment I had ever made to performing
in the US."

"It is my fervent wish to return to the US in better times. But I find it
impossible to imagine playing concerts in America when such grave issues
are confronting all the peoples of the world."

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: info at africanhypertext.com