Do You Want "'Freedom Fries" With That?

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Tue Mar 11 21:19:23 MST 2003

Here is but one more example of the extremely dangerous imperial hubris
sweeping this country: fall in line with the U.S. policies and
intentions--no dissent or independence tolerated--we, America, are
"sovereign", with own policies, international law is what we say it is, and
we obey those UN resolutions and aspects of international law we find
convenient, we ignore the rest, no other country should ever dare to
practice its own sovereignty, or have its own policies if they conflict with
ours, although we care nothing if our policies conflict with those of
others, and if we feel slighted
or not obeyed, then we will employ such demagogic and infantile tactics as
revealed blow, and will even violate international law, commit our own
terrorism, ignore the UN and UN resolutions, all under the banners of
"fighting terrorism", "upholding international law" (the parts convenient to
us) and punishing those who show no respect for the very same international
law and UN that we also arrogate to ignore when it is not in "our" interest.

The same forms of imperial hubris, national chauvinism, abrogation of human
and constitutional rights and just plain racism are sweeping this country as
were sweeping Germany around 1933. Also, see below for a prime example of
some of the kinds of infantile and dangerous demagogues and idiots infecting
the Congress, Executive, Judiciary ands rest of American society.

Evil is no faceless stranger
Living in a distant neighborhood.
Evil has a wholesome, hometown face,
with merry eyes and an open smile.
Evil walks among us, wearing a mask
which looks like all our faces.
("THE BOOK OF COUNTED SORROWS")

CBSnews.com

Do You Want "Freedom Fries" With That?
WASHINGTON, March 11, 2003

House cafeterias will be serving fries with a side order of patriotism
Tuesday with a decision by GOP lawmakers to replace the "French" cuisine
with "freedom fries."

"This action today is a small but symbolic effort to show the strong
displeasure of many on Capitol Hill with the actions of our so-called ally,
France," said Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio, chairman of the House Administration
Committee.

Ney, whose panel oversees House operations, ordered the House Administrative
officer to change the menus in House office building cafeterias to read
"freedom fries" and "freedom toast."

The House action follows moves by several restaurants around the country to
remove "French" fries from their menus to protest French opposition to U.S.
military action in Iraq.

Also leading the anti-French campaign was Rep. Walter Jones, R-N.C., who
noted in a letter to colleagues that Cubbie's restaurant in Beaufort, N.C.,
in his district, was now serving "freedom fries."

"Watching France's self-serving politics of passive aggression in this
effort has discouraged me more than I can say," Jones said.

Members of Congress have been sharply critical of France for threatening to
veto a new U.N. resolution holding Iraq in violation of disarmament
agreements and paving the way for a military strike against the Saddam
Hussein government.

Another Republican, Jim Saxton of New Jersey, has introduced several bills
to ban Pentagon participation in this year's Paris Air Show and to make sure
that France does not participate in any reconstruction projects in Iraq.

http://tinyurl.com/7ac7