Wolfowitz's imaginary rabbit

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Mar 12 07:54:19 MST 2003

NY Times Op-Ed, Mar. 12, 2003
I Vant to Be Alone
By MAUREEN DOWD

It will go down as a great mystery of history how Mr. Popularity at Yale
metamorphosed into President Persona Non Grata of the world.

The genial cheerleader and stickball commissioner with the gregarious
parents, the frat president who had little nicknames and jokes for
everyone, fell in with a rough crowd.

Just when you thought it couldn't get more Strangelovian, it does. The
Bush bullies, having driven off all the other kids in the international
schoolyard, are now resorting to imaginary friends.

Paul Wolfowitz, the deputy secretary of defense, spoke to the Veterans
of Foreign Wars here yesterday and reassured the group that America
would have "a formidable coalition" to attack Iraq. "The number of
countries involved will be in the substantial double digits," he
boasted. Unfortunately, he could not actually name one of the supposed
allies. "Some of them would prefer not to be named now," he said coyly,
"but they will be known with pride in due time."

Perhaps the hawks' fixation on being the messiahs of the Middle East has
unhinged them. I could just picture Wolfy sauntering down the road to
Baghdad with our new ally Harvey, his very own pooka, a six-foot-tall
invisible rabbit that the U.S. wants to put on the U.N. Security Council.

Ari Fleischer upped the ante, conjuring up an entire international forum
filled with imaginary allies.

He suggested that if the U.N. remained recalcitrant, we would replace it
with "another international body" to disarm Saddam Hussein. It wasn't
clear what he was talking about. What other international body? Salma
Hayek? The World Bank? The Hollywood Foreign Press Association?

full: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/12/opinion/12DOWD.html
--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org