Sanction the United States Government! Re: George Packer: red-baiter

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 12 22:17:58 MST 2003

At 7:02 PM -0800 3/9/03, Walter Lippmann wrote:
>>Is this the first time that the New York Times editorialized
>>against a US war before it started?
>>--
>>Yoshie
>
>Not to be pedantic, but it's important to keep in mind that the war "started"
>a dozen years ago. What we're now contemplating is the "invasion"
>and the "blitzkrieg". I do not recall a time when the NYT opposed
>these things before they began, however, so this is a good
>development. They worry that this war could upset the apple cart of
>capitalism. Their objection is tactical, but it's good that they
>object.

The Gulf War has never ended, to be sure.  Now that the world (with a
modest contribution from US anti-war protesters) has struck serious
political blows against the Empire's Big War of Choice, (Cf. "No
Consensus Reached on British Proposal," 13 March 2003,
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-2476236,00.html>;
Will Knight, "Iraq Diplomatic Delay Brings Weather Worries,"
NewScientist.com, 11 March 03,
<http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993482>), it's time
for us to shift gear and start fighting against the Empire's Little
War.  Rev up the political rhetoric, go on the ideological offensive,
and highlight the US/UK violations of UN resolutions about Iraq (see
below):

*****   New York Times   March 11, 2003

U.N. Force at Kuwait Border Braces for Assault on Iraq
By STEVEN LEE MYERS

DEMILITARIZED ZONE, Kuwait, March 10 - The last international
obstacle that stands between the United States and a war against Iraq
is not just a vote on the Security Council but this barren stretch of
scrub and desert patrolled by 1,300 soldiers and civilians, 11 of
them Americans....

As American and British forces mass just south of here, the observers
from the United Nations Iraq-Kuwait Observer Mission have reported
repeated incursions into the zone. Most were by American helicopter
and jet patrols and what appeared to be scouting missions by American
marines in armored personnel carriers and civilian vehicles.

Five days ago a civilian contractor from South Africa cut seven holes
in the fence on the Kuwaiti side - two west and five east of the
small border outpost at Abdaly.

When questioned, he told officials here that Kuwait's Interior
Ministry had hired him to cut 35 holes by March 15, two days before a
proposed deadline for Iraq to comply fully with United Nations
resolutions barring its possession of nuclear, chemical and
biological weapons.

The fence belongs to Kuwait, and so pocking it with holes does not
technically violate the demilitarized zone, but with each gap wide
enough for two American M1-A1 tanks side by side, the significance of
it and the other incursions is obvious. "We are not stupid," Maj.
Sandor Galavics, an Austrian officer here, said today....

The demilitarized zone - three miles deep in Kuwait and six miles
deep in Iraq - stretches 124 miles from the Saudi border to Iraq's
only deep-water port at Umm Qasr and another 28 miles into the Khawr
Abd Allah, an inlet of the Persian Gulf.

The zone is mostly flat and desolate, though several thousand Iraqis
live within it, as do farmers and shepherds on the Kuwaiti side. The
Iraqi side is still covered with land mines, as well as tank
graveyards and other detritus of the last war.

Militarily the zone will be little more than a speed bump. One
American Army officer said mammoth earthmovers already in place here
would simply plow through the berms and fill the trenches to clear
routes for advancing forces.

Diplomatically, though, it may be another matter.

If American-led ground forces punch through en masse on their way
into Iraq, especially without approval of the United Nations Security
Council, the United States and its allies could find themselves
violating Security Council Resolution 687. The resolution created the
observer mission in April 1991 with the mandate to deter incursions
and "observe any hostile actions mounted from the territory of one
state into another."

As they have for years, the observers reported the recent incursions
to United Nations headquarters in New York....

The last report to the Security Council, covering March through
September of last year, tallied 278 incursions. Most of those were
American patrols of the no-flight zone over southern Iraq, which was
never explicitly authorized by the United Nations....

In recent weeks, officers here said, there have been no Iraqi
incursions, but many American and British ones.

"Most every day there is some violation," said Maj. Stephen Prosser,
a British officer at Patrol and Observation Base N7, one of 17 in the
zone.

Many of those are committed by American or British soldiers who have
simply lost their way in the swirling desert and, Major Prosser said,
happily turn around when confronted. Others are clearly there with a
purpose....

<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/11/international/middleeast/11BORD.html>
& <http://www.iht.com/articles/89426.htm>   *****

*****   United Nations
S/RES/687 (1991)

RESOLUTION 687 (1991)

Adopted by the Security Council at its 2981st meeting,
on 3 April 1991

The Security Council,

...Affirming the commitment of all Member States to the sovereignty,
territorial integrity and political independence of Kuwait and Iraq,
and noting the intention expressed by the Member States cooperating
with Kuwait under paragraph 2 of resolution 678 (1990) to bring their
military presence in Iraq to an end as soon as possible consistent
with paragraph 8 of resolution 686 (1991)....

Noting that Iraq and Kuwait, as independent sovereign States, signed
at Baghdad on 4 October 1963 "Agreed Minutes Between the State of
Kuwait and the Republic of Iraq Regarding the Restoration of Friendly
Relations, Recognition and Related Matters", thereby recognizing
formally the boundary between Iraq and Kuwait and the allocation of
islands, which were registered with the United Nations in accordance
with Article 102 of the Charter of the United Nations...

Conscious of the need for demarcation of the said boundary...

Conscious also of the objective of achieving balanced and
comprehensive control of armaments in the region [of the Middle
East]...

2. Demands that Iraq and Kuwait respect the inviolability of the
international boundary and the allocation of islands set out in the
"Agreed Minutes Between the State of Kuwait and the Republic of Iraq
Regarding the Restoration of Friendly Relations, Recognition and
Related Matters", signed by them in the exercise of their sovereignty
at Baghdad on 4 October 1963 and registered with the United Nations
and published by the United Nations in document 7063, United Nations,
Treaty Series, 1964;

3. Calls upon the Secretary-General to lend his assistance to make
arrangements with Iraq and Kuwait to demarcate the boundary between
Iraq and Kuwait, drawing on appropriate material, including the map
transmitted by Security Council document S/22412 and to report back
to the Security Council within one month;

4. Decides to guarantee the inviolability of the above-mentioned
international boundary and to take as appropriate all necessary
measures to that end in accordance with the Charter of the United
Nations;

5. Requests the Secretary-General, after consulting with Iraq and
Kuwait, to submit within three days to the Security Council for its
approval a plan for the immediate deployment of a United Nations
observer unit to monitor the Khor Abdullah and a demilitarized zone,
which is hereby established, extending ten kilometres into Iraq and
five kilometres into Kuwait from the boundary referred to in the
"Agreed Minutes Between the State of Kuwait and the Republic of Iraq
Regarding the Restoration of Friendly Relations, Recognition and
Related Matters" of 4 October 1963; to deter violations of the
boundary through its presence in and surveillance of the
demilitarized zone; to observe any hostile or potentially hostile
action mounted from the territory of one State to the other; and for
the Secretary-General to report regularly to the Security Council on
the operations of the unit, and immediately if there are serious
violations of the zone or potential threats to peace...

33. Declares that, upon official notification by Iraq to the
Secretary-General and to the Security Council of its acceptance of
the provisions above, a formal cease-fire is effective between Iraq
and Kuwait and the Member States cooperating with Kuwait in
accordance with resolution 678 (1990);

34. Decides to remain seized of the matter and to take such further
steps as may be required for the implementation of the present
resolution and to secure peace and security in the area.

<http://www.fas.org/news/un/iraq/sres/sres0687.htm>   *****
--
Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: