from comrades in Philadelphia

Christopher Carrico ccarrico at temple.edu
Thu Mar 13 18:48:12 MST 2003

>===== Original Message From Anthropology graduate student discussion list
<ANGRAD at LISTSERV.TEMPLE.EDU> =====
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Larry Robin <larry at robinsbookstore.com>
To: Larry Robin <larry at robinsbookstore.com>
Subject: information is power

Dear Folks,
We are under attack on all fronts - the man said he would unite us - and by
God - he will.

Did you know that a majority of the nations media, (newspapers, radio, TV,
cable,) are owned by less then ten companies?  That is a good reason for why
the media does not report at all or reports poorly on many issues. It is
also why we need to search out places to find information.  Here are links
for some articles you might want to read. Remember, information is power.

The Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003, allows:
    The government to strip Americans of their citizenship if they have
provided support to organizations labeled as "terrorist" by the government -
even if they know nothing of the organization's alleged links to terrorism.
    Expansion of home searches and wiretaps without a warrant
    Secret arrests.
    New immunity for federal agents, who conduct illegal surveillances, with
the approval of high ranking executive branch officials. This provision
would have protected the Nixon-era wiretappers.

    Angle Ortiz is submitting a resolution to city council to declare
Philadelphia a civil liberties safe haven. For information:
http://www.phillypeace.org/patriotact/actions.html

Did you know that 23 women, including nationally recognized award-winning
authors Alice Walker, Susan Griffin, Maxine Hong Kingston and Pacifica Radio
's Amy Goodman, were arrested in front of the White House on Sunday March 8,
as part of a International Women's Day demonstration. Thousands followed the
call for a women led march to protest against discrimination, exploitation
and war. Check out Indymedia, a collective of independent media
organizations and hundreds of journalist who offer their grassroots,
non-corporate coverage. Indymedia is a democratic media outlet for the
creation of radical, accurate, and passionate telling of truth.
http://www.indymedia.org

What do they think in Britain? The Independent for March 9, 2003 features an
article: loS campaign: Not in our name, Mr Blair. You can read it at:
http://argument.independent.co.uk

Do you remember Jimmy Carter? He was the 39th President of the United States
and winner of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. On Sunday March 9 he wrote an
op-ed piece for the new York Times called Just War - or a Just War?. You can
read it, and a lot of other things at: http://truthout.org

Did you know that U.S. Diplomats are beginning to resign over U.S. policy on
Iraq? John Brady Kiesling, a twenty-year career diplomat who has served in
United States embassies from Tel Aviv to Casablanca to Yerevan, in his
letter of resignation to Secretary of State Colin L. Powell, said this: "The
policies we are now asked to advance are incompatible not only with American
values but also with American interests. Our fervent pursuit of war with
Iraq is driving us to squander the international legitimacy that has been
America's most potent weapon of both offense and defense since the days of
Woodrow Wilson. We have begun to dismantle the largest and most effective
web of international relationships the world has ever known. Our current
course will bring instability and danger, not security." You can read this
on Common Dreams News Center, connect to over 120 progressive groups
(America's Progressive Community), and find out about the Global Candlelight
Vigil for Peace planned for Sunday March 16, or the Latin American
Solidarity Coalition's call for a massive protest rally on Sunday, April 13,
2003 in Washington DC, where the World Bank and the Internatonal Monetary
Fund are having their spring meetings. This and more at:
http://www.commondreams.org

And finally the strangest site of all? http://www.fatdawg.com and you get a
web site for Fatdog's World Famous Subway Guitars. You page down and click
on NEWS ARTICLES AND REPRINTS and you get a page called Times Square, which
reads, "These surely are wild times: everything is going down - from murder
and mayhem to global slavery, financial exploitation of entire continents,
corporate cons, government games, and downright mean spirited behavior of
every description. And then there's WAR..
There is a remedy: Right thinking, Right livelihood, Right living. But in
the meantime -while those heavy
efforts take root - Here are a few eye-popping articles reprinted for a
clearer picture of what's going on behind our backs (and largely with
American tax dollars). They offer some indication of what we might do to
foil some of the more pernicious plotting against all of our best interests.
Let's start with some deeper truths about true day-to-day TERROR. Which
leads to an article "Firm Linked to Cheney Wins Oil-Field Contract," and a
list of over fifty downloadable articles under the headings of AMERICA
SELF-DESTRUCTING, BIGOTRY, POLITICAL MACHINATIONS, and WAR FOR OIL. Check
out at:
http://wwwfatdawg.com

Kimmika L. H. Williams-Witherspoon, Ph.D.
Department of Theater
207 Tomlinson Hall
Temple University
Philadelphia, PA 19122

"When God whispers something profound out into the universe
the trees bend and sway at his magnificance.
The leaves rustle loudly,"Hush...God is talking now"
and, if man were wise, he'd stop,
look up
and listen."
copyright 1992 Kimmika L. H. Williams