Christopher Hill

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 13 23:32:53 MST 2003

> Why would we be Marxists if capitalism and
> the bourgeois revolution did not originate in class antagonisms but rather
> out of class harmony ? Marx's basic idea would be wrong. Maybe Marx is wrong,
> refuted by recent empirical studies in the bourgeois academy. Hey , who knows
> ? Of course , it wouldn't be surprising that such recent studies would refute
> Marx, Marxism and historical materialism.

Why should critiquing, and perhaps even disagreeing completely
with, Marx's argument concerning the origin of captialism make
some non-marxist? Can one not agree with elements of marxist
theory, let alone Marx's notioin of a classless society, without
necessarily accepting every thing he argued?

DOQ