new generation of weapons -- forwarded by Brendan Holland

James Daly james.irldaly at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 16 07:02:42 MST 2003

Vladimir Slipchenko on the Awe-inspiring Potentials of American
High-precision Weaponry

 Russia’s military analyst Major General Vladimir Slipchenko thinks
that the U.S. has a head start on the entire world for a whole
generation of wars.

 By Alexander Khokhlov

http://www.herolibrary.org/vladimir_slipchenko_on_the_awe.htm

Source: Izvestia, January 18, 2002, pp. 1, 3

Due to lack of finance, Russia cannot cope with the U.S.’s effort of
researching new kinds of weapons. However, the United States has left
the rest of the world back in the previous generation of warfare
tactics.

            Installation of the national antimissile defense system
and “stockpiling” the nuclear warheads are only tricks, concealing the
main goal of the U.S.: To rearm its armed forces with high-precision
weapons by 2010.

            Khokhlov: Vladimir Ivanovich, what can you say about the
current situation with military potentials in Russia and the U.S.?

            Slipchenko: We are almost hopelessly lagging behind. Only
now Russia’s leaders come to an understanding that we are lagging a
whole generation of wars behind the United States. Our troop leaders
still think with categories of “ductile” wars, employing multitudes of
ground-based troops. The generals still prepare for wars waged on the
land and for the land.

            Just recall our certainty that the Americans would “get
stuck” in Afghanistan. Gloating comments, on the part of our generals
as well, asserting that huge personnel losses in the mountains of
Afghanistan would put the U.S. in its place. However, nobody attended
that the United States has been waging war without casualties, without
close contact with the enemy for a decade already. (…) It is nice
Russia did not join this warfare. If, having yielded to the persuasion
of the U.S., we had sent our tanks, which are the best in the world,
to Afghanistan, we would have seen what skillful enemies the Talibs
are…

            Putin realized that we have no means to wage warfare in
Afghanistan. This is the only reason why Russia confined itself to the
humanitarian actions carried out by the Emergencies Ministry. Russia
has always had political and military interests in Afghanistan. Alas,
we have no means to defend them. Soon the U.S. will “ask” Russia to
withdraw from some Central Asian states of the former Soviet Union,
and we would be saying once again we have nothing to do there…
However, drug trafficking would run through Russia and further into
Europe then. Believe my prediction: The U.S. would not be suppressing
drug production in the region too severely. The heroin produced there
would not reach the United States, while Russia and Europe, “hooked on
drugs,” do not matter much. The “liberated” Kosovo, which has become
Europe’s largest center for transferring Asian-produced drugs, is an
evident example…

            Khokhlov: What is the U.S.’s military domination about?

            Slipchenko: The U.S. connected its hopes with
high-precision weapons and surpassed the entire world in researching,
testing, and mass production of such weapons. The U.S. does not need a
cumbersome army any more, it does not need to capture the area of a
victim-state and eliminate its armed forces. Application of
high-precision cruise missiles, destroying key objects of economy and
life support would bring success in the warfare. The
military-industrial complex of the United States appointed George
Bush, Jr. president in order to achieve this goal. (…) Bush has come
to power to rearm America. The price of this rearmament is some $50-60
billion annually within the next 10-15 years. As my expertise shows,
closer to 2010 the U.S. armed forces will be able to wage war against
any state in the world for 30 days, launching at least 1,000
high-precision cruise missiles daily to hit economic objects of the
given country. It would amount to 30,000 missiles, which cost $1
million each. By 2020 the U.S. would be able to wage warfare for 60
days already, by 2030 for 90 days. The new weapons must cause
structural changes in the U.S. Army.

            (…) America has been reducing its ground forces without a
stir. The divisions remain only formally. The Navy and the Air Force
will be retained, but only as a means to transport ammunition for
high-precision weapons to theaters of military operations. As regards
the structure of the Army, now the U.S. has been changing from
activity in spheres (surface, air, sea) to activity in accordance with
functions: strategic offensive and strategic defensive forces.

            Implementing a structural change in its armed forces, at
the same time the U.S. is attempting to leave the rest of the world in
the previous generation of wars. Withdrawal from the ABM Treaty and
“stockpiling” of the withdrawn nuclear armaments are large-scale
tricks or strategic shady deals, whatever you may call them.

            Khokhlov: Why?

            Slipchenko: Installing the national antimissile defense
system, the Americans care for defending the area of the United States
from a nuclear attack least of all. By 2010-2015, no country in the
world, with the exception of Russia and China, would be able to attack
the U.S. with their nuclear weapons. The U.S. will install an
antimissile defense system, but it will be a secondary, minor task.
Its main goal is to erect a space infrastructure under disguise of the
antimissile defense system, to wage warfare without close contacts
with the enemy. America has been developing a global space-based
reconnaissance-information network of 200 man-made satellites, with
the aid of which it would wage war against any country by means of
high precision weapons. In this case, Carlson is not as scary as his
propeller. It is possible to break through an antimissile defense
system, but a global space “web,” enveloping the world, its cost
amounting to $50 billion, is a global threat.

            Non-elimination of the withdrawn nuclear arsenals, but
“stockpiling” them in the storehouses is the second trick. The
Americans have been storing the nuclear warheads with only one
purpose: In order that the Russians and the Chinese, waiting for a
dirty trick to be played on them, would resume spending their finances
and use the brain-power of their scientists to retain their nuclear
arsenals.

            As academician Sakharov said once, 500 nuclear warheads
able to reach the enemy’s territory is enough to provide a nuclear
deterrent. However, the U.S. strongly needs the nuclear states to
remain in the previous generation of wars and not to become its rivals
in the research of conventional high-precision weapons. Unfortunately,
in my opinion, our leaders have “swallowed the bait…” (…)

            Khokhlov: Vladimir Ivanovich, the picture of the future
order in the world you’ve depicted is terrifying. Are there any
chances for Russia to avoid that?

            Slipchenko: We have good initiatives in the sphere of
researching high-precision weapons; however, we have lost a decade.
Perhaps, we still have time to reach the last step at the back of the
last carriage of the leaving locomotive. The almightiness of the U.S.
in the future is to the same degree dangerous as the threat of
international terrorism. Permissiveness depraves and incites to
dangerous steps. It is necessary that Russia’s leaders direct the
effort of the national military-industrial complex for research of
high-precision weapons. At the moment, the military-industrial complex
has been working in accordance with a formulation, “We give the armed
forces not the weapons they demand, but the weapons they need.” It is
necessary to accept the challenge of the 21st century. We may still
hope to gain a decent position in it.