Question on Military Strategy

lvnadal lvnadal at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 20 12:51:17 MST 2003

Try this again: forgot to clip....

Shock and awe to one side, cruise missiles can be fired from any number of
platforms, ships, submarines, airplanes, and the ground.

B52s, which dropped about half the ordnance during Gulf War I carries
cruiise missiles.

F117 Nighthawks
(Stealth) carry Tomahawks.  The Tomahawks do fly at subsonic speeds, using
ground hugging radar to navigate to target.

However, F15, F15E, F18, F/A18 aircraft are all equipped with satellite and
laser guided missiles that travel at supersonic speeds.  Cruise missiles
locate, if I remember correctly, by comparing ground pictures of terrain to
the pre-loaded "picture" of the target.

Regarding the current tactics, who knows?  Maybe S&A was just a feint. Maybe
it will rolled out later.  Oil prices have dropped 20% in the spot markets
in a week in anticipation of a "quick war."  Maybe that's not such good news
for petrol Pattons.  Maybe they want to draw it out, spike the spike.

For my part, I'd feint toward Baghdad, but go to Basra. Take the south, cut
a deal with Iran and bring the Shiite's forward as a "free Iraq."

Or maybe the inability to go through Turkey, with armored brigades trapped
at sea dictates the current tactic.