Question on Military Strategy

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Thu Mar 20 19:56:14 MST 2003

More speculation. The world-wide, mass anti-war protests, as Lou said, have
undoubtedly caused shockwaves in Washington and among its allies. I suspect
that Bush is (was?) hoping, probably at the urging of his allies, to hold
back on S&A initially, try to take out Saddam and the rest of the Iraqi
leaders through pinpoint strikes (as Bush indicated with his "targets of
opportunity" phrase, last night), and failing that, to go ahead with the
invasion. If Bush and company were able to eliminate the Iraqi leadership
in this way, they might get away with an invasion and occupation at a very
low cost in human lives and damage to the oil infrastructure. Then, during
the occupation, they could carry out whatever housecleaning they wanted.

Mike