Report on Anti-War Actions from Columbus, OH

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 21 13:51:08 MST 2003

Protests in Columbus, OH have never been able to match those of
Chicago, San Francisco, and other big cities, but we're making
progress in number, breadth, and militancy.

Tuesday, March 18:
* Die-ins at 15th Ave. and High St., Noon-1 PM (about 30 people) and
5-6 PM (124 people).

Thursday, March 20:
* a walkout of high school students, led by Rachel Levine.  Columbus
has strong secular Jewish voices for peace.
* an interfaith prayer service for peace at First Congregational
Church, 7 PM.  Through the planning of this prayer service, a new
group Faith Communities United for Peace was formed, led by a
wonderful Methodist man John Wagner, who had already organized
Methodists for Peace here.
* a protest at the Federal Building, from 9 PM.  About 1,000 showed
up, chanting, drumming, speechifying, primal-screaming.  Most drivers
honked for peace enthusiastically, with only a few giving us thumbs
down.  We were wildly popular.  Small groups decided to provide
round-the-clock presence of dissenters at the Federal Building.
We'll come out in force tonight at 9 PM again.

Our regular anti-war activities will also continue:
* Weekly Vigils (Women in Black), every Friday, 5:30-6:30 PM, 15th
Ave. and High St., Columbus, OH
* Weekly Demonstrations, every Saturday, Noon to 1 PM, N. Broadway
and High St., Columbus, OH
* Weekly Demonstrations, every Saturday, Noon to 1 PM, Rt.161 (Dublin
Granville Rd.) and High St. in Worthington
* Weekly Demonstrations, every Saturday, Noon to 1 PM, Broad and
Drexel in Bexley
* Weekly Demonstrations, every Sunday, 5-6 PM, 15th Ave. and High
St., Columbus, OH
As you may see from the above locations, we now have neighborhood
protest groups taking actions in places other than downtown and the
OSU campus area.

--
Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: