NYC demonstration

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Mar 22 14:55:13 MST 2003

I returned a little while ago from an immense antiwar demonstration in NYC
which started on Times Square (B'way and 42nd Street) and terminated at
Washington Square Park (5th Avenue and W. 4th Street). For the entire
stretch of 38 blocks,  marchers filled the streets. My guess is that there
were at least a quarter of a million people, a figure that is not far off
from the cop's own estimate. (See:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/22/international/worldspecial/22WIRES-RALLIES.html)

As has been the case for a while now, there was a profusion of hand-made
signs evoking all sorts of sentiments from "Zionists Against War" to
"Puppies for Peace". There was a significant number of blacks and labor in
the march, which was preponderantly young and white. The mood was militant
but disciplined. Unlike previous events, there were no rallies either at
the starting point or end point. Why, I am not sure. Logistics, I suppose.

I strongly suspect that if the USA cannot prevail in Iraq within a week or
so, these demonstrations will become much larger and more powerful. Here
are some photos I took:

http://www.marxmail.org/mar22_1.jpg
http://www.marxmail.org/mar22_2.jpg
http://www.marxmail.org/mar22_3.jpg