Does anyone have the photo of Marines raising flag?

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Sat Mar 22 16:28:15 MST 2003

"Americans raise hackles by flying
Stars and Stripes in Iraq

Nicholas Watt, Saturday March 22, 2003, The Guardian

American marines swept aside Iraqi sensibilities yesterday to
raise the Stars and Stripes at the entrance to Iraq's main port of
Umm Qasr."

Does anyone have a copy of the photo of the raising of the flag?  I have a
series of shots of the firefighters repeating the famous Marines on Iwo
Jima in the ruins of the  WTO 9/11.

Obviously the politics of the image are in play here and as that is what I
lecture on I would be very interested to have a copy.

I note though that there were British protests and the flag was taken
down.  Still they say a picture is worth a thousand words and the marines
were really only acting out the truth of conquest.  No wonder it had to be
covered up.

regard

Gary