Rumsfeld acknowledges Geneva Conventions

Stuart Lawrence stuartwl at walrus.com
Sun Mar 23 08:09:16 MST 2003

(AP)

There has been a report of an aircraft missing,'' the secretary
acknowledged on NBC's
"Meet the Press. "I don't want to speculate because I simply don't
know.''

Rumsfeld said there are some American troops who are missing in Iraq. He
noted that under the Geneva Convention governing prisoners of war, "It's
illegal to do things to POWs that are humiliating to those prisoners.''

"There are, we believe, there are some American soldiers missing.'' He
said there also could be captured journalists.

%%%%%%

I didn't see "Meet the Press," so I missed the intense follow-up
grilling on other aspects of the Geneva conventions and international
law that reporters on the panel must have subjected him to.

Stuart