Query Re: "Support the Troops -- Bring Them Home"

Jose G. Perez jgperez at netzero.net
Mon Mar 24 16:29:03 MST 2003

I think it --or something very close-- originated in the 1945-46 GI movement
to force a demobilization of the US forces. The US wanted to keep hiuge
armied in europe and asia. The "grunts" were against it. I believe some
people who were then or later became SWP'ers brought the slogan into the
anti-Vietnam War movement (I *think* maybe Fred Halsted, but am not sure).
Somewhere there is something written by SWPers on this -- I think it may
have been in Fred Halstead's book, "out now."

José