Total war?

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 25 09:00:33 MST 2003

That's exactly correct, Jacob. They are laying
the political foundation for a gigantic My Lai
massacre of Hiroshima-esque proportions. It
appears that Washington's war planners DID
believe their own propaganda, just as back at
the Bay of Pigs they really thought that Cuba
would roll over, rise up and welcome them.

It's a massive psy-ops operation, on Iraq and
on the rest of the people of the world. After all,
what else could they mean by things like this:
==================================

>From the Financial Times (London)

Iraqi resistance surprises allies

By Andrzej Rybak on the Kuwait-Iraq border
Published: March 25 2003

Although US and British troops pushed further towards
Baghdad yesterday, back close to the border with
Kuwait they were encountering persistent resistance
that surprised the allies.

Soldiers are not being welcomed as liberators but
often confronted with hatred.

One British officer said of Saddam Hussein: "It seems
as if many people do not even want to get rid of this
brutal dictator. This is not what we expected."

US military units withdrew from the border town Umm
Qasr yesterday in favour of British marines more used
to street fighting.

"The situation in this town reminds me of Northern
Ireland," a UK soldier said. "The snipers wear
civilian clothes but then they bring out their
hidden weapons and slam."

A vegetable farmer from Abdaly on the border asked:
"If it is possible for the small Umm Qasr to resist
for five days, how long will it then take to seize
Baghdad?"

In Basra, Iraq's second largest city, the Shia
majority had been thought to be among the keenest to
see the overthrow of Mr Hussein. But there were no
signs of an uprising against him.

And in the border town of Safwan, the attitude of
local people was at most lukewarm.

"How would you like it if we tore down portraits of
[US President George W.] Bush in your home town?"
an old man asked. During the first day of war, US
soldiers had pulled posters of the Iraqi ruler from
the walls.

Others that might have reasons to complain about
crimes of the dictator from Baghdad kept silent.
"There is no guarantee that Saddam really will be
overthrown," one woman said. "I do not want to be
killed by his folk."

There were no signs that the war would be only a
matter of days, as some US or UK army representatives
had suggested.

Chris Vernon, UK military spokesman, had already
invited American and British television crews to go to
Basra, "at most 48 hours" after the start of a war.

"The Americans have completely underestimated the
enemy," several British soldiers said.

Unlike during the 1991 Gulf war, the morale of Iraqi
troops is good.

Moreover, Iraqi commanders have changed their
approach.

Traditionally soldiers were trained only for big
battles but now the army has switched to guerrilla
tactics in the cities.

In the desert they only seem to attack supply troops.

"It is exactly the scenario we have tried to avoid,"
one British officer said.

Faced with this strategy, the allied forces were not
able to use their technological superiority.