BOYCOTT THE UNITED STATES

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Tue Mar 25 09:52:45 MST 2003

There is only one thing I want to add to this: IMVHO it would be important for
US antiwar forces to CALL FOR the boycott, as the ANC did with the boycott of
South Africa.  That way it's not "anti-Americanism" - it's solidarity with the
anti-war forces of the US.

Please find and read the whole article!

lp

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030325/ts_nm/iraq_usa_boycotts_dc&cid=564&ncid=1473

Boycott of American Goods Over Iraq War Gains Pace
4 minutes ago  Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Erik Kirschbaum

BERLIN (Reuters) - No more Coca-Cola or Budweiser, no Marlboro, no American
whiskey or even American Express cards -- a growing number of restaurants in
Germany are taking everything American off their menus to protest the Iraq
(news - web sites) war.

Although the protests are mainly symbolic, waiters in dozens of bars and
restaurants in Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Bonn and other German cities are
telling patrons, "Sorry, Coca-Cola is not available any more due to the
current political situation."

The boycotts appear to be part of a nascent worldwide movement. One Web site,
www.consumers-against-war.de, calls for boycotts of 27 top American firms from
Microsoft to Kodak while another, www.adbusters.org, urges the "millions of
people against the war" to "Boycott Brand America."

Consumer fury seems to be on the rise. Demonstrators in Paris smashed the
windows of a McDonald's restaurant last week, forcing police in riot gear to
move in to protect staff and customers of the American fast-food outlet. The
attackers sprayed obscenities and "boycott" on the windows.

In Indonesia, Iraq war opponents have pasted signs on McDonald's and other
American food outlets, trying to force them shut by "sealing them" and urging
Indonesians to avoid them.

[...]
In Bonn, bartender Bruno Kessler said he was refusing to sell American whiskey
or American beer at his "Eifeler Stuben."  "I asked myself 'What can I
possibly do to show my anger over this barbary?'," he told Germany's N-24
television network.

Sarah Stolz, a 22-year-old German student majoring in American studies, was
headed for a Starbucks coffee shop in central Berlin when her anti-war
conscience got the best of her.  "I was thinking about going into Starbucks,
which I love, when I realized it was wrong," she said. "I'm backing the
boycott because the war is totally unjustified."