Fw: RE: [A-List] A Russian view of the war

Einde O'Callaghan einde.ocallaghan at planet-interkom.de
Wed Mar 26 22:55:10 MST 2003

Jim Farmelant wrote:

> For what it's worth, have these Russian reports with salt.
>
> There are a number of errors in their descriptions of the names and
> composition of US Special Operations units.

I wouldn't use this as an argument against the contents of the articles.
After all, the articles are translations from the Russian. Whereas the
writers of the articles may know the English designations they would
have translated them into Russian in the original report. The translator
who then translated the documents into English may not be familiar with
the English designations and may have translated them literally.

This is a problem familiar to all translators - no two translators will
ever give an identical translation of any text, even the same translator
will give different translations at different times. I speak from
experience.

Einde O'Callaghan