Ritter: US will lose

Andy Coates esquincle at capital.net
Thu Mar 27 18:33:02 MST 2003

http://www.gulufuture.com/news/scott_ritter030325.htm

Scott Ritter...  are you surprised by how the assault in Iraq is going?

"No actually, I wrote a paper that was published last Fall, that
predicted just this. And i'm a little disturbed in listening to some of
the analysis going along here.

I think that one of the reasons the American find themselves in such
difficulties in Iraq, is that so many in the Pentagon have listened to
the... blithering of Iraqi expatriots who have spoken out --rightly so--
against Saddam Hussein, and who think that it's a) the role of the
United States to liberate Iraq; and b) think that the Iraqi people want
us to liberate them from Saddam.

And I think that the harsh reality is that in buying off on the
expectations of being greeted in the streets of Iraq with song and
flowers... we now find we are being greeted with bullets and bombs.

And it's the Shia in the south who are fighting us. They're not doing it
because Chemical Ali is down there with his death squads threatening to
execute 'em.

They're doing it because, the American Crusader Infidel has invaded and
violated Holy Iraq, and they will resist us, and they will resist us
strongly.

A nd no matter how many Iraqi's we kill and slaughter, I predict that
America will loose this war and ultimately the American military will
leave Iraq with its tail between its legs.

Unfortunately, we're going to inflict a tremenduous amount of death and
destruction on the people of Iraq; the American soldiers and Marines
will also pay a price.

And all those who sit outside of Iraq and courageously encourage
Americans to go in and slaughter Iraqi's should be ashamed of themselves."

You think the Americans will lose this war?

" We lost Vietnam....

Remember we can kill many, many Iraqui's and we will do so. But I am
telling you right now, that we do not have sufficient combat power in
Iraq --as we speak-- to win this battle. So we will have to reinforce
considerably.

The current posture, in terms of American deployment, is predicated on a
presumption that the Iraqi Army would surrender; that the Iraqi people
would welcome; that the international community would support.

The exact opposite is happening.

And now we find ourselves with fewer than 120,000 boots on the ground;
facing a nation of 23 million, with armed elements numbering around 7
million --who are concentrated at urban areas.

We will not win this fight. America will loose this war.

Saddam Hussein may die... But you know what?

I'm betting that Saddam's gonna be around a lot longer than anyone can
predict.

I'm betting that we don't capture Bhagdad.

I'm betting that we stall outside Bhagdad.

I'm betting that this becomes an absolute quagmire.

I hope I'm wrong, for the sake of the American lives that are going to
be lost. Remember I'm a 12 year veteran of the Marine Corps. I fought in
the first Gulf War. I know what war is about. I know what defending my
country is about.

This is a bad war, because it has nothing to do with the defense of the
United States of America. Iraq doesn't have weapons of mass destruction.
The Bush Administration has pulled an enormous lie to the international
community; to the American people.

And now we're in Iraq --carrying out the right-wing neo-conservative
motives of a handful of people; the Richard Perle's, Paul Wolfowitz's;
the Dick Cheney's. And we've allowed them to hijack our foreign policy.

And they've been cheered on by these Iraqi expatriots, who have zero
credibility in my eyes. They're so brave and they want Iraq liberated...
Then my goodness man, go to Iraq... fight and die for your country...
But don't ask Americans to do it. "