marxmail tech note: attributing quoted text

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Fri Mar 28 08:01:18 MST 2003

Mike Friedman wrote:

> Wasn't me, but Anthony, who wrote this. I responded to it.

A list subscriber wrote me offlist a few days ago asking whether
everyone could be more careful when quoting text to make it clear WHO
is being responded to when a previous response is quoted in a message.

there are some standard techniques for good email formatting to make
the flow of dialog transparent. i will post a summary of these next
week or week after for the benefit of people new to email.

in the meantime, try to include the name of the person you are
responding to adjacent to the quoted text, so others can follow the
flow of the dialog.

les schaffer