Daschle buckles, Schroeder truckles

LouPaulsen LouPaulsen at attbi.com
Fri Mar 28 18:21:22 MST 2003

Daschle Says His Iraq Criticism of Bush Ill-Timed
1 hour, 10 minutes ago  Add Politics to My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle labels as
ill-timed his charge that President Bush (news - web sites) "failed so
miserably at diplomacy that we're now forced to war."

Daschle said in Washington on March 17: "I'm saddened, saddened that this
president failed so miserably at diplomacy that we're now forced to war." He
voiced his criticism just hours before the president gave Saddam Hussein
(news - web sites) an ultimatum to leave Iraq (news - web sites) in 48 hours
or face a U.S.-led invasion.

"I don't think the timing of those comments were necessarily the best,"
Daschle was quoted as telling reporters from his home state of South Dakota
on Thursday. "I had no idea when I said them what the timing of the military
operation would be." A Daschle aide on Friday confirmed the senator's
remarks.

stood by his remarks. A Daschle aide said on Friday the senator still stands
by them.

In speaking with South Dakota reporters on Thursday, Daschle saluted Bush's
execution of the war as well as the U.S. troops fighting it.

Schroeder Says Still Friends with Bush, Blair
Fri Mar 28,12:19 PM ET  Add World - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Clifford Coonan

BERLIN (Reuters) - German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder on Friday played down
current tensions with President Bush (news - web sites) and British Prime
Minister Tony Blair (news - web sites) over Iraq (news - web sites), saying
the overall relationship was still intact.

"In the final analysis, you will see that among friends -- and we are
friends -- it's possible to have different opinions and remain friends,"
Schroeder in an interview with German television.

Schroeder said he expected to talk to Bush at a meeting on May 30 and 31 in
St Petersburg of leaders of the Group of Seven industrialized countries and
Russia.