Fwd: NYTimes article on antiwar movement

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Mar 29 08:31:50 MST 2003

Jacob wrote:
>The renewed attack on ANSWER is really a coded attack on the entire left
>wing of the movement, as the Times piece shows. Years from now UFPJ types
>will try to say ANSWER left the movement in a fit of radical pique,
>whereas it's clear that ANSWER is now being deliberately purged.

Another thing to keep an eye on is attacks on anti-war professors. Nicholas
De Genova has become targeted by the entire rightwing. I am particularly
annoyed with Eric Foner, who told the scumbag NY Post that, ""If I had
known what he was going to say, I would have been reluctant to have him
speak."

NY Times, Mar. 29, 2003
At Columbia, Call for Death of U.S. Forces Is Denounced
By TAMAR LEWIN

The president of Columbia University said yesterday that he was horrified
by the remarks of an anthropology professor who said at a campus antiwar
teach-in Wednesday night that he hoped to see "a million Mogadishus" —
referring to the city in Somalia where American soldiers were ambushed in a
lethal firefight in 1993.

The professor, Nicholas De Genova, also called for the defeat of United
States forces in Iraq, and said the only true heroes are those who help
defeat the American military. He said Americans who call themselves
patriots are imperialist white supremacists.

"Under well-established principles of the First Amendment, this is within a
person's right to free speech," Lee C. Bollinger, the president of
Columbia, said in an interview. "Not for a second, however, does that
insulate it from criticism. I am shocked that someone would make such
statements. I am especially saddened for the families of those whose lives
are now at risk."

Those who attended the teach-in said most of the audience stayed silent at
Professor De Genova's reference to the Mogadishu ambush, an event portrayed
in the movie "Black Hawk Down." The raid, on Oct. 3, 1993, in which 18
Americans were killed and 75 injured — and the subsequent broadcast of
images of a dead American being dragged through Mogadishu — prompted
President Bill Clinton to order a withdrawal of troops from Somalia, where
they had been sent to help relieve a famine.

"Professor De Genova's speech did not represent the views of the
organizers," said Eric Foner, a history professor who was one of the
teach-in's organizers. "I personally found it quite reprehensible. The
antiwar movement does not desire the death of American soldiers. We do not
accept his view of what it means to be a patriot. I began my talk, which
came later, by repudiating his definition of patriotism, saying the
teach-in was a patriotic act, that I believe patriots are those who seek to
improve their country."

Professor De Genova's voice mail was not accepting messages yesterday. The
anthropology department referred all calls concerning him to the public
affairs office, where a spokesman said he had no further information on
Professor De Genova, who is untenured and teaches anthropology and Latino
studies.

The teach-in at Columbia, which went from 6 p.m. to midnight Wednesday and
drew an audience of about 3,000, was organized by seven faculty members,
who were joined by about two dozen other faculty members speaking on
subjects like Middle East relations, civil liberties, pre-emptive war, the
Geneva Conventions and Iraqi archaeological sites endangered by the war.