NYTimes article on antiwar movement

Jacob Levich jlevich at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 29 22:13:21 MST 2003

Needless to say, I hope you're right. I'm glad to hear the Feb. 15
coalition is hanging together on the ground in Chicago.

But if the UFPJ leadership is being misquoted or misrepresented here, the
whole thing can easily  be smoothed over with a mass email denouncing the
misrepresentation and reaffirming solidarity with ANSWER and the rest of us
who are "too left-wing and alienating". The Lerner crisis was dealt with
pretty efficiently in that fashion.

If we don't see such an email within a day or so, I think we can assume the
UFPJ leadership is not unhappy with The Times story.  And we should not
underestimate the ability of these people to set the agenda and tactics for
their liberal followers.

Nor should we underestimate the blandishments of the ruling class -- I'd
lay a bet that Pariser, Kagan, et al. are now being tempted to believe
they'll be allowed a place at the Democratic Party table, if only they get
rid of those nasty Reds.

Jake