Fox News baits antiwar protesters

Charles Brown BrownBingb at aol.com
Sun Mar 30 11:40:35 MST 2003

From: cuito61 at onebox.com

>"War protester auditions here today ... thanks for coming!" read one
>message. "Who won your right to show up here today?" another >questioned.
>"Protesters or soldiers?"

Is it just me, or is the entire premise wrong?  I mean, isn't this whole
"soldiers protect/earn/ensure "freedom" thing just flatly wrong?  How does
anyone actually believe this stuff and say it with a straight face?  Isn't it
just another way of justifying military intervention?  I mean, if we jsut
look at US history from the beginning to the present, one is hard-pressed to
find any example where any action taken by the US military ensured or
promoted anyone's "freedom," either at home or abroad.  The only 2 really
arguable instances are maybe the civil war and WWII, but these are BOTH
highly arguable and the true motives/results (not to mention behavior of the
actual military during these campaigns) reveals something other than some
altruistic campaign for human freedom.  SO what gives?  Is it just America's
historical amnesia that allows so many people to believe this crap?  One
could even make a damn good argument that "protestors" and other such
agitators have been most r
esponsible for earning the degree of "freedom" and rights that most Americans
and other people have today.  Thoughts?

^^^^^^^

CB: I run into this all the time on the AOL board. A whole lot of people , of
course, do believe the myth of American history as a series of wars and
battles to establish and protect "freedom".  They also believe modern U.S.
foreign policy is heroic altruism in  service to the whole world.  I'm not
exactly sure how to dispel these dillusions in people who are not inclined to
think critically or honestly about what has really gone down.  You would be
asking them to throw out a fundamenal part of their worldview, enter a
significant identity crisis and social conflict. They almost _have_ to
believe this myth to retain their sanity and peace of mind.
Patriotism/Americanism is emotionally equivalent to belief in God for a lot
of people, I would guess. And the myth of a history of virtuous warmaking is
a cornerstone of patriotism.

Of course, I don't attack "patriotism".  I do just start reciting specific
wars in which the U.S. was not threatened, and therefore U.S. "freedoms" were
not threatened, like the wars on Mexico,  Phillipines, Korea, Viet Nam,
Panama, Grenada, Yugoslavia, WWI; and specifically ridicule the idea that
Iraq is on the verge of conquering or even attacking the U.S. I have no
evidence that this has changed anybody's mind, though nobody really replies
and contradicts the historical specifics ( of course a lot of people buy that
Iraq is some kind of threat to the U.S.).  They usually end the exchange ,
with a few more sprinkles of insults.