Apology from Dixie Chick

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Sun Mar 30 14:54:55 MST 2003

Apology from Natalie Maines of The Dixie Chicks

As a concerned American citizen, I apologize to President Bush because my
remark was disrespectful. I now realize that whoever holds that office
should be treated with the utmost respect.

I hope everyone understands, I'm just a young girl who grew up in Texas.  As
far back as I can remember, I heard people say they were ashamed of
President Clinton. I saw bumper stickers calling him everything from a
pothead to a murderer. I heard people on the radio and TV like Rush
Limbaugh, Pat Robertson, Newt Gingrich and Trent Lott bad mouthing the
President and ridiculing his wife and daughter at every opportunity. I heard
LOTS of people disrespecting the President. So I guess I just assumed it was
acceptable behavior.

But now, thanks to the thousands of angry people who want radio stations to
boycott our music because criticizing the President is unpatriotic, I
realize it's wrong to have a liberal opinion if you're a country music
artist. I guess I should have thought about that before deciding to play
music that attracts hypocritical red necks. I also realize now that I'm
supposed to just sing and look cute so our fans won't have anything to upset
them while they're cheating on their wives or getting in drunken bar fights
or driving around in their pickup trucks shooting highway signs and small
animals.

And most important of all, I realize that it's wrong for a celebrity to
voice a political opinion, unless they're Charlie Daniels, Clint Black,
Merle Haggard, Barbara Mandrell, Loretta Lynn, Ricky Skaggs, Travis Tritt,
Hank Williams Jr, Amy Grant, Larry Gatlin, Crystal Gayle, Reba McEntire, Lee
Greenwood, Lorrie Morgan, Anita Bryant, Mike Oldfield, Ted Nugent, Wayne
Newton, Dick Clark, Jay Leno, Drew Carey, Dixie Carter, Victoria Jackson,
Charlton Heston, Fred Thompson, Ben Stein, Bruce Willis, Kevin Costner,
Arnold Schwartzenegger, Bo Derek, Rick Schroeder, George Will, Pat Buchanan,
Bill O'Reilly, Joe Rogan, Delta Burke, Robert Conrad or Jesse Ventura.

God Bless America, Natalie
Drop Bush, Not Bombs!