How to approach the troops?

Stuart Lawrence stuartwl at walrus.com
Sun Mar 30 17:06:10 MST 2003

Here's a piece illustrating the patient, careful, fact-based approach
Walter advocates, and its potential as a means of reaching those
Americans still committed to a pro-war stance -- Stuart

The Onion | 3/26/2003
--------
Point-Counterpoint: The War On Iraq
--------

This War Will Destabilize The Entire Mideast Region And Set Off A Global
Shockwave Of Anti-Americanism
By Nathan Eckert
George W. Bush may think that a war against Iraq is the solution to our
problems, but the reality is, it will only serve to create far more.

This war will not put an end to anti-Americanism; it will fan the flames
of hatred even higher. It will not end the threat of weapons of mass
destruction; it will make possible their further proliferation. And it
will not lay the groundwork for the flourishing of democracy throughout
the Mideast; it will harden the resolve of Arab states to drive out all
Western (i.e. U.S.) influence.

If you thought Osama bin Laden was bad, just wait until the countless
children who become orphaned by U.S. bombs in the coming weeks are all
grown up. Do you think they will forget what country dropped the bombs
that killed their parents? In 10 or 15 years, we will look back fondly
on the days when there were only a few thousand Middle Easterners
dedicated to destroying the U.S. and willing to die for the
fundamentalist cause. From this war, a million bin Ladens will bloom.

And what exactly is our endgame here? Do we really believe that we can
install Gen. Tommy Franks as the ruler of Iraq? Is our arrogance and
hubris so great that we actually believe that a U.S. provisional
military regime will be welcomed with open arms by the Iraqi people?
Democracy cannot possibly thrive under coercion. To take over a country
and impose one's own system of government without regard for the people
of that country is the very antithesis of democracy. And it is doomed to
fail.

A war against Iraq is not only morally wrong, it will be an unmitigated
disaster.

--------

No It Won't
By Bob Sheffer

No it won't.

It just won't. None of that will happen.

You're getting worked up over nothing. Everything is going to be fine.
So just relax, okay? You're really overreacting.

"This war will not put an end to anti-Americanism; it will fan the
flames of hatred even higher"?

It won't.

"It will harden the resolve of Arab states to drive out all Western
(i.e. U.S.) influence"?

Not really.

"A war against Iraq is not only morally wrong, it will be an unmitigated
disaster"?

Sorry, no, I disagree.

"To take over a country and impose one's own system of government
without regard for the people of that country is the very antithesis of
democracy"?

You are completely wrong.

Trust me, it's all going to work out perfect. Nothing bad is going to
happen. It's all under control.

Why do you keep saying these things? I can tell when there's trouble
looming, and I really don't sense that right now. We're in control of
this situation, and we know what we're doing. So stop being so
pessimistic.

Look, you've been proven wrong, so stop talking. You've had your say
already.

Be quiet, okay? Everything's fine.

You're wrong.