UfPJ list posting: police sentiment

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Sun Mar 30 21:03:29 MST 2003

In line with what many comrades are commenting concerning the NYT article
and a shift to the "center" by sectors of the anti-war movement, the
following was sent to the entire UfPJ list. I may be misreading, but it
seems to urge a shift away from CDs and other "confrontational" tactics by
anti-war forces (to "make the police's job easier") and pays lip service to
the "few rotten apples" view of the police. The letter also flies in the
face of pervasive police repression at most protests in the recent period.
IMHO, the writer's argument concerning "choosing dissent strategies that
don't set up the police as the advocates of the war in Iraq, and therefore
our targets for protest," is a straw-man argument and quite dangerous for
activists. It is a red-herring in the sense that no anti-war organizations
have chosen dissent strategies that set up the police as the advocates of
the war in Iraq, to my knowledge. It is dangerous, in the sense that she
seems to be asking us to gear our strategies to police sensibilities,
rather than our goal of stopping the war.

Mike