Mother Jones on SF's Anti-War "Radicals"

Mike Friedman mikedf at magnus.amnh.org
Mon Mar 31 11:04:05 MST 2003

I wish someone who has used the term "more radical" -- whether Lou,
or you, Nadal, or viveka -- would define "more radical." The Mother
Jones article painted those who carried Mumia signs as "more
radical." It also pointed to those who advocate (and engage in)
disruptive actions, as "radical." In the former case, where folks
raise other critical social issues in the context of an anti-war
rally and attempt to raise consciousness of the links, say, between
racism at home and the war, they are to be defended tooth and nail.
Among the latter, one's political perspective indicates whether a
demonstration, bottle-throwing or CD are "radical". In the case of
"radical actions," as Marxists, I would hope that we would base our
assessment of what actions are currently appropriate or not on the
basis of what will advance our strategy of building a mass anti-war
movement. As Lou said, CDs that mainly hinder the movement of working
people to and from their jobs, kids' schools, etc., are a poor choice
of tactics.

--
Michael Friedman
Ph.D. Candidate in Ecology, Evolutionary Biology and Behavior

Molecular Laboratory
Department of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street