Cuba and social-imperial thuggery/Saul Landau

viveka kaliyuga at humboldt1.com
Sun May 4 09:00:59 MDT 2003

Melvin wrote:

> Democracy as an expression of the will of the people also means creating
the
> social institutions to alleviate social problems like drug use, teenage
> pregnancy, random violence, violence directed towards women as a class of
> citizens and this expresses the will of government as the executor of a
> class. Democracy in the real world means one's ability to manifest their
> rights to housing, medical care, fresh water supply, transportation,
> education, an environment increasingly free of random violence, higher
> education, literature, music and the pursuit of culture and not simply the
> specific state of development of the judicial system. Cuba's one party
system
> has traveled down the road of democracy further than America in all
matters
> of grave concern to the majority of people in our country.

I would only add to Melvin's thoughtful comments that the accomplishments of
the Cuban revolution are even more extraordinary when one compares it, not
to the U.S., but to a  Latin American country.  Having just seen City of
God, a movie about the horrific slums of Brazil where children kill children
as a matter of course and literacy is seemingly non existent, I can only
marvel, frankly, at what the Cuban revolution has attained for the people in
real terms.

> The petition against the government of Cuba on the basis of judicial
ruling
> against 3 people is imperial thuggery and political hooliganism.

Walter wrote:

I'm as pro-Cuba as
anyone, but the posture of trying to
dismiss questions by personally
attacking the author while at the
same time NOT addressing any
of the political points he raises
simply WILL NOT FLY.

Cuba understands that it needs
all the support it can get, from
people everywhere, whether they
self-define themselves as being
"revolutionary" or "progressive"
or whatever.

To which I would respond:

Of course Cuba needs all the help it can get, which is why Landau's
questioning is all the more problematic.  Landau didn't raise any "political
points" except to demand that the Cuban government provide all its
supporters with a full explanation and to suggest that they may have acted
unwisely and in haste.  First off, Fidel gave a very thorough explanation.
Good enough for me, because after all, there just MAY be some state
secrets - some particular knowledge he may have - than canNOT and should not
be made public.

Did they act recklessly?  If Landau knows Cuba so well, he would know that
they would NEVER jeopardize their standing in the world community by acting
rashly unless they had a very good reason.   That Landau felt the need to
come out and voice his criticism is indicative of where he is on the
political spectrum, and, if he's a friend of Cuba's, he's only so when the
sun shines.

Maggie