Re.: Austrian General Strike --> USA?

Chris Brady cdbrady at attglobal.net
Tue May 6 11:26:46 MDT 2003

Could the same stimulus yield the same result
if translocated to the centre of capitalist power?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

House Considers Measure to Cut Billions in Pension Obligations

By MARY WILLIAMS WALSH
New York Times, May 6, 2003

The bill would allow companies to assume that blue-collar
workers will on average die sooner than pension plans now
assume.

FULL article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/06/business/06PENS.html?ex=1053215035&ei=1&en=060ac7ef51ed7882

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, this macabre prognosis could very well be grounded in rational
observations of the condition of the working class:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Faces of Budget Cuts

By BOB HERBERT
PORTLAND, Ore.
New York Times, May 5, 2003

Cheryl Asbell was fidgety, anxious. She compulsively adjusted the
soft-brimmed bucket hat that she wore during the interview in her living

room. Now she stared at me, her eyes wide.

"I'll tell you what's going to happen," she said. "I'm going to be dead.

That's what's going to happen."

FULL article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/05/opinion/05HERB.html?th=&pagewanted=print&position=

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Despair behind downturn is all very real

By Mike Cassidy
San Jose Mercury News
May 6 2003

Every now and then a desperate voice stands out from the chorus of
downturn despair.

Lenore Christ first called me last summer. She was sick with cancer and
out of work. Her husband was out of work. She didn't know how she was
going to survive.
 She was laid off
from her job as a validation engineer at Xerox in November 2001. Her
husband, Bob, lost his software engineering job at Verecomm when the
company went under in July 2001.

Lenore said she knows she and Bob are two among many unemployed. They've

been able to live on unemployment, savings and severance. She's patched
together health insurance and currently is paying $345 a month to
continue her Xerox coverage. But that option runs out in the fall.

"My top worry is if I don't have someone paying for this stuff," she
tapped her IV bag, "I'm dead."

FULL article:
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/columnists/mike_cassidy/5795593.htm