FW: Labor Notes Conference Sept. 12-14

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at mail.com
Wed May 7 15:52:49 MDT 2003

CALLING ALL TROUBLEMAKERS:

TROUBLEMAKING IN TROUBLED TIMES: ORGANIZING TO WIN!

LABOR NOTES 2003 CONFERENCE

 SEPTEMBER 12-14

Hyatt Regency Hotel, Dearborn, Michigan (union hotel near Detroit Metro Airport)

REGISTER BY MAY 31 AND GET A 10% EARLY REGISTRATION DISCOUNT

*We can send you a pdf file of the conference brochure which you can print and pass on to your fellow labor activists*
      (Contact us, if you'd like brochures via regular mail.)

When we fight for our rights
they call us “troublemakers”

Meet activists from around the country and world as we build and strategize to succeed in these tougher times. Share and hear the stories of workers who do fight back—and sometimes win! Take valuable organizing tools and newfound contacts back to your local or organization.

Conference topics include:

    * Rebuilding the labor movement when the deck is stacked: Lessons from labor history on how we’ve fought through tough times
    * War: Labor’s response and the impact on all workers
    * Fighting concessions: keeping our healthcare and pensions
    * Organizing strategies for the workplace, community, and the unorganized
    * Strikes as labor’s weapon
    * Alternative organizing: workers’ centers, non-majority unions, and alliances
* Building social movement unionism here and abroad

Over 55 workshops!

Check the list on our website, www.labornotes.org. Let us know what workshops interest you and your members, and give us suggestions for workshops you'd like to see offered.

Opportunities to meet and strategize by union, industry, or interest

Let us know what meeting your members would like on the agenda.

TO REGISTER: CALL 313-842-6262, OR REGISTER ONLINE AT www.labornotes.org    (Website includes hotel, airline, childcare, and scholarship information.) Schedule: Early workshops and meetings begin noon Friday, Sept. 12. The opening main session is Friday evening.  The conference ends 3:00 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 14.

Ken Riley, International Longshoremen’s Association, Local 1422, Charleston, SC says:
“At the 2001 Labor Notes Conference I was able to tell everyone about the Charleston 5. It was the place to meet activists from across the country who would take the news about our struggle back home to their workplaces and communities. I look forward to coming back this September.  .  .”

Start making plans now to attend!
For more information: See www.labornotes.org, call 313-842-6262, or email renuka at labornotes.org