Fwd: [GushShalom] ISM Office Invaded, more info + what you can do

Lueko Willms Lueko.Willms at t-online.de
Fri May 9 14:12:17 MDT 2003

  I thought this might be interesting to Marxmail subscribers.

  Fred Feldman had already informed about the news article in "The
Guardian" about the same issue.

> From: "Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc)" <info at gush-shalom.org>
> Subject: [GushShalom] ISM Office Invaded, more info + what you can do
> Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 18:14:18 +0200

GUSH SHALOM - pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033 - http://www.gush-shalom.org/

International release

[NB: sample protest letter in the end.}

You may have seen the short, immediate message.
We now can tell you that the ISM (International Solidarity Movement)
and Raprochement offices in Beit Sahour were raided today.

Three women were taken into custody. Two internationals were
arrested,  both apparently American (one is Flo, the communications
coordinator).  A Palestinian was questioned, and then released;  The
2:00 and 3:00 PM radio news reported that the internationals were
illegally here, but the ISM office confutes that.  In addition to the
arrests, 5 computers and 3 lap tops were confiscated.

This is a step further in the governmentÆs and militaryÆs war on
human rights groups, particularly those who aim to help the
nonviolent
struggle of Palestinians against the occupation. It follows the
killing of Rachel Corrie, and the shooting and seriously wounding of
Tom
Hurndall - still in coma - and Brian Avery, shot in the face, and
invalidated for life.

International human shielders are apparently losing their special
status and treated no better than Palestinians.

At present, legal aid is being sought to try to release the women and
to recoup the computers.