"A desalambrar"

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Fri May 9 20:59:12 MDT 2003

José Pérez recalls "A desalambrar", great song if there is any.

I think it was Viglietti's, or by some of the Olimareños.

There is a whole trend within rebel, progressive and revolutionary
folklore in the River Plate area which touches on these issues.

When we talk of "folklore" here, we must mainly think of music and
lyrics composed by urban residents who took the themes and rythms
that once belonged to the old rural populations.

We may quote among the authors of these songs are Zitarrosa
(Uruguay), Atahualpa Yupanqui (not his real name, his family name was
Cravero and he was a teacher born to a family of inland Buenos Aires
Province railroad workers) and Jorge Cafrune (a very popular singer
of Arab origin from Salta, who died in mysterious -should I add that
they were not mysterious at all?- circumstances during the 1976
dictatorship), among others, in Argentina.

These and other artists revealed that the children of the immigrants,
and they were caught by these sounds of the deep population in
Argentina and Uruguay even when politically they opted for parties
which, in fact, opposed that population: Yupanqui belonged to the CP
in his youth, thus sternly opposed Perón: the regime, stupidly as
many times, forbade his music to be played on the radio; Zitarrosa
and Viglietti were Montevidean artists, of a deep "urban middle
class", that is Colorado as against the rural plebeians who voted
Blanco. Cafrune, however, was Peronist as well as the great guitar
player Falú -another Arab family from the Argentinean North West,
some of whose members were "disappeared" during the dictatorship.

"A desalambrar" is a very archetypal example of the kind of music
that Argentinean and Uruguayan youth were very fond of during the
late 60s and early 70s. Some day, someone will write down the history
of this music, which expressed the increased nationalization of
Argentinean and Uruguayan middle classes in the period immediately
after the Cuban revolution and before the coups of the mid-70s.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822