Cuba: some data

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Sun May 11 23:32:33 MDT 2003

Found some stuff.

Cuba's per capita GNP in the fifties was the fourth highest in Latin
America. The source is Claes Brundenius, Cuba, London, 1984, p. 5.

Regarding its performance since (per capita GDP growth):

Cuba, 1970s: 3.9%. 1980s: 0.8%
Rest of Latin America, 1970s: 3.3%. 1980s: -0.04

(Nothing for the 60s. I have ignored the 90s when Cuba faced a crisis not
of its own making.)

So Cuba did a bit better than the Latin American average. But Mexico did
slightly better than Cuba (3.5% and 0.1%).

Source: Claes Brundenius, "The Role of Human Capital in Cuban Economic
Development". http://www.cdr.dk/working_papers/wp-00-8.pdf

It occurred to me that Brundenius might be a gusano type, though I had a
vague impression of him as a social democratic academic. So I hunted around
the net. I found he has collaborated - recently - with Pedro Monreal, who
is a research economist at the Center for International Economic Research
(CIEI) an the University of Havana. So I'm inclined to think the figures
are credible.

Of course they're not the whole story. The Cuban achievement is under
conditions of blockade, and also of Soviet tutelage which I guess was a
help in some ways and an obstacle in others. And the other issues raised in

Also, I am quite open to comrades showing me holes in this data, or
providing alternatives.