Michell Landsberg again - 9/11 revisited

Stewart Sinclair stewsinc at eol.ca
Sun May 11 23:35:43 MDT 2003

May. 11, 2003. 08:25 AM
The Toronto Star

Conspiracy crusader doubts official 9/11 version

MICHELE LANDSBERG

Barrie Zwicker gazes calmly into the camera, hands clasped, voice clear and
resonant, looking the quintessential Canadian progressive: a colourful
knitted vest over an open-collared shirt, a neat little beard, a
personality that radiates boyish, almost naive friendliness.

Not a shard of irony, not a sliver of petulant, up-to-date narcissism.

Perfect. You couldn't possibly be more agreeable or less threatening.

Then, of course, he ruins it all by asking questions. They are questions
that 99 per cent of Canadian journalists have not dared or deigned to ask,
and that most Canadians would prefer not to hear.

In these strange times, asking direct and probing questions about 9/11 will
get you instant put-downs.

Zwicker grins as he mimics the upward eye-roll and patronizing hand-flap
that go along with the phrase "conspiracy theorist."

As Vision TV's media critic for the past 15 years, and as a journalist with
a long list of solid credentials (he's worked at The Globe and Mail and The
Toronto Star, taught at Ryerson University, and was awarded a Southam
Fellowship at the University of Toronto), Zwicker should be safely out of
the line of fire. It's a measure of his determination to challenge
conventional wisdom that he has willingly kept his head up, instead of
down, and tried to look facts right in the eye.

"You know, the people who just shrug off these questions with the
`conspiracy theorist' epithet should be asked what they stand for.
Unquestioning acceptance of the official narrative? Sure, there are
outlandish theories out there — aliens, Atlantis — but there have also been
real and huge conspiracies," Zwicker told me in an interview in his home
office.

I knew about some of those conspiracies. Last January, I wrote a column
about American declassified documents that verify a long history of
top-level conspiracies. The U.S. government, its military and its secret
service have plotted to justify wars and impose their control on other
countries through intricate secret schemes of drug-running, gun smuggling
and assassination. They even considered rigging fake terrorist attacks that
would cost American lives in order to stir the public to war-ready outrage.

Immediately, I was deluged with hundreds upon hundreds of approving e-mails
from American citizens. Some of them praised the TV work of Barrie Zwicker
— a Globe and Mail colleague of my youth.

I sat down, with a fair degree of skepticism, to watch Zwicker's video, The
Great Deception, which challenges the U.S. government's account of what
really happened on 9/11. Slowly, a frightening chill came over me. These
were the very questions I had asked myself on 9/11 and for several weeks
after. Failing to find easy answers, I had locked the subject away.

full article at:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1052251546550&call_page=TS_Columnists&call_pageid=970599109774&call_pagepath=Columnists