Matriz reloaded

Xenon Zi-Neng Yuan wenhuadageming at attbi.com
Thu May 15 09:37:30 MDT 2003

henry,

your points are well-taken.  but does it really seem like i put more
emphasis on entertainment than life itself though?  maybe because i've
participated more on this thread than i ever expected, but then, so have
others it seems.  i'd argue, expecting criticism and comments, that perhaps
movies are not just mere street scenes, but narratives?  sure, in the
decadent american context, it's been warped into this commercialized and
alienated form, but haven't narratives always existed in human society (i'm
not saying they're more relevant than actual life experience and
observation)?  i ask as a youth trying to understand my "strong opinions
based on ignorance"...

speaking of which, i'm not yet even zhou enlai's cpc-founding age.  and i
never said working class youth weren't intellectually serious.  that
doesn't mean they have access to the same things as middle class folks
though, which was my point when saying many of them wouldn't have heard of
the movie "reds".

x. yuan

ps - thank you for the heads-up on nancy mitford