they are no longer a problem for the United States

James Daly james.irldaly at ntlworld.com
Fri May 16 06:03:28 MDT 2003

Many thanks for John Enyang's priceless satire and Lueko Willms's
helpful research. I knew of the US murders in Yemen, but I had not
realised, or had forgotten, that Bush boasted about it. Alarcon is so
right -- that makes a very good argument in Cuba's situation.

My question about the lack of response was badly phrased -- I meant
liberal and left response after the speech. I remember hearing
justified criticisms about excessive applause and about Bush's wink to
someone in the front row, but I do not remember hearing any criticism
of the presidential claim of responsibility for killing suspects. Of
course we also know what happened to prisoners under military
interrogation in Afghanistan. But the James Bond throwaway line in
such a setting adds a dimension of horror, reminiscent of the use of
the great Native American Geronimo's skull in frat rituals.

Comradely,

James Daly