The truth about Hitler?

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon May 19 16:18:18 MDT 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003 14:39:09 -0400 Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com>
writes:

> On Mon, 19 May 2003 13:41:38 -0400 Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com>
> writes:

> Anyway, when CBS fired them, they said:
>
> "We found Mr. Gernon's comments to TV Guide to be insensitive
> and outright wrong."  "His personal opinions are not shared by
> CBS and misrepresent the Network's motivation for broadcasting this
> film."
>
> "It is very important that viewers understand that these views
> are not reflected in the tone or the content of the mini-series,
> which recounts the rise of Hitler to power and portrays
> him as the ruthless, maniacal force he was."

In other words, CBS straight out admitted that they wanted
the film to adhere to the "great man" theory of history
(or perhaps in this case the "evil man" theory) and not attempt
to depict the rise of Hitler as being due to any underlying
social forces like the class struggle between the bourgeoisie
and the proletariat, that were rooted in the political economy
of capitalism.  Thus, the ideological character of the film's
portrayal of the rise of Hitler should be readily apparent.
In this view. he rose to power because he was an evil man
of genius who was able to impose his will on Germany, and not because as
a political figure, he was the representative of power social
forces in Germany that were clashing with other social
forces.