How the Iraqi generals sold out to the highest bidder

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 21 11:52:36 MDT 2003

slate.com
Smart Bribes
Centcom's real secret weapon.
By Fred Kaplan
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 2:49 PM PT

A fascinating piece in the May 19 Defense News quotes Gen. Tommy Franks,
chief of U.S. Central Command, confirming what had until now been mere
rumors picked up by dubious Arab media outlets—that, before Gulf War II
began, U.S. special forces had gone in and bribed Iraqi generals not to
fight.

"I had letters from Iraqi generals saying, 'I now work for you,' "
Franks told Defense News reporter Vago Muradian in a May 10 interview.

The article quotes a "senior official" as adding, "What is the effect
you want? How much does a cruise missile cost? Between one and 2.5
million dollars. Well, a bribe is a PGM [precision-guided munition]—it
achieves the aim, but it's bloodless and there's zero collateral damage."

One official is quoted as saying that, in the scheme of the whole
military operation, the bribery "was just icing on the cake." But
another says that it "was as important as the shooting part, maybe more
important. We knew that some units would fight out of a sense of duty
and patriotism, and they did. But it didn't change the outcome because
we knew how many of these [Iraqi generals] were going to call in sick."

All of which further reinforces the vague sense that—for all the embeds,
armchair generals, and round-the-clock news coverage—we still know
startlingly little about what really happened in this war.

The Defense News article raises what could be the biggest military
question of all: Just what won this war so swiftly—the high-tech prowess
and agility of the modern American military, or old-fashioned back-alley
spycraft? Which was the real wonder weapon—the smart bomb or the greenback?

full: http://slate.msn.com/id/2083271/

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org