Chris Hedges driven from commencement ceremony

Xenon Zi-Neng Yuan wenhuadageming at attbi.com
Wed May 21 13:12:08 MDT 2003

At 12:05 PM 5/21/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>I doubt it was the reason, but after listening to the speech on Democracy
>Now this morning, I think I would have booed him off the stage too. It was
>the most dreadful, pedantic, boring speech on the subject of the war on
>Iraq I've yet heard. His heart and brain may be in (somewhat) the right
>place, but listening to him for any length of time would have driven
>anyone nuts. And I thought Chomsky and Zinn were bad speakers!

the problem is that hedges is a war journalist and a writer, not
necessarily an orator.  and neither are chomsky and zinn.  listening to the
hedges speech (which yes, was delivered very drably and monotonously) and
the ruckus in the background, it does seem like it was pro-us/pro-israel
hecklers that instigated the commotion.