"why we have to expose any anti-semites in our ranks"

Lueko Willms Lueko.Willms at t-online.de
Thu May 22 00:01:32 MDT 2003

> # Subject: "why we have to expose any anti-semites in our ranks"
> # From: Juan Fajardo <fajardos at ix.netcom.com>
> # Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:34:29 -0700
  on the web at http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/msg30929.html

   Where Juan Fajardo answers Johannes Schneider:

> > Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 15:09:19 +0200
> > From: "Johannes Schneider" <Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net>
> > Subject: Re: The truth about Hitler?
> >
> > [...] the charge of anti-semitism is a
> > powerfull weapon in the hands of Sharon and other Zionists?
> > This is another reason, why we have to expose any anti-semites
> > in our ranks.
> > If we remain silent about anti-semitism, we are harming the
> > Palestinian cause as well.

  with reflections how the imperialist propaganda smears opposition
to the colonial settler state of Israel:

> All too often, however, the definition of anti-semitism is rather too
> broad even to be clearly understood (the old "I know it when I see it"
> bit) and gets levelled at anyone who criticizes Israel, expresses
> sympathy for the Palestinians, does not reflexively condemn armed
> actions by Palestinians, connects the Palestinian cause to discussions
> on colonialism, anti-imperialism, peace, international law,
> human rights, etc.

  The problem starts when someone equates Zionism with "THE Jews",
and especially if someone starts to look into some biological or
genetic trait of "THE Jews" behind the brutality of the Israeli
occupation.

  You will have noted aspects of this in recent posts in this debate.

  It is necessary to point out the contrary, that the Zionist project
of colonizing Palestine and subjugating the Arab people there runs
against the interests of Jews. It means running away from the fight
against anti-semitism, up to even actively opposing such a fight.
Instead of creating a "safe haven" for Jews to flee from repression,
it has created the only place on the world, where Jews are being
killed for being Jews, the state of Israel. It is isolating Jews from
their natural allies in the fight against discrimination and ties
them to the arch-enemy of any oppressed and discriminated group of
people, to imperalism.

   Zionist and anti-semitic ideologues share the common ground that
Jew equals Zionist and that Jew equals foe of any people oppressed by
imperialism.

   We should fight to break this lie.

Yours,
Lüko Willms