Zionism and the Cognitive Dissonance of Some Jews of the Diaspora

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri May 23 10:28:37 MDT 2003

At 8:23 AM -0700 5/23/03, Craven, Jim wrote:
>Many of the new settler types also demonstrate some of this
>fanatacism born out of their own cognitive dissonance problems. Many
>of them I have seen interviewed, many American Jews who speak no
>Hebrew, who were mostly secular and non-observant until relatively
>recently, many in their thirties and forties, all of a sudden get
>the fever, perhaps have some kids and are looking for instant
>families with instant stability and tradition, also want instant
>Jewishness, and have some problems explaining what they have been
>doing as Jews for the cause up to now, they get the fever, move
>over, go into the settlements where they can really "prove" their
>Jewishness and commitment to Zionism to the Likkud types, and they
>are off and running as new, instant, "super-Jews."

*****   Demographics
Jewish Emigration Patterns Confound The Planners
June 1994, Page 45

...The fear of intermarriage often is cited as a major reason for
emigration of American and Canadian Jews to Israel. Although such
emigration climbed by nearly 40 percent from 1992, it still was a
minuscule 3,957 in 1993. At present, there are said to be some
130,000 American Jews living in Israel, comprising about 3 percent of
the Jewish population there.

Some of the most liberal and tolerant Israeli citizens are of
American origin. Ironically, so are some of the most radical and
bigoted among the Jewish settlers in occupied areas. Fifteen percent
of those Jewish settlers are American.

"Israel has become a dumping ground for some of the dreck (trash) of
American Jewry," according to Allon Gal, professor of American Jewish
history at Ben-Gurion University in Beersheva. "They came in the
1980s in an atmosphere created by the Likud Party, which gave them
the feeling that people could live here like the white man in America
200 years ago with the Indians. Except instead of Indians they are
Palestinians."

Of the North American Jewish emigrants to Israel, nearly half were
from the New York area. By contrast, some 500,000 Israelis live or
work in the United States, 200,000 of them, in New York, according to
staff writer Daniel Schiffin of the Jewish Week of Queens, New
York....

<http://www.washington-report.org/backissues/0694/9406045.html>   *****
--
Yoshie