Zionism

M. Junaid Alam redjaguar at attbi.com
Fri May 23 13:17:05 MDT 2003

M. Friedman:

"The prevalent ideological currents among Jews in the U.S. are the
prevailing political currents among the U.S. population in general."

Not really. The U.S. population "in general" is not part of Hillel, ZOA,
AIPAC, and ADL, which are comprised of that section of Jews who are
ardent Zionists. The population in general is not active in promoting,
maintaining, and expanding the foundation of lies upon which the Israeli
state rests.

When I gave speeches on campus to students at anti-war sessions I
distinctly remember it was Hillel members who were sitting in the back,
taking notes on me like some kind of agents, passing out Zionist
propaganda, not the population in general. I also recall writing op-ed
pieces in the student paper it was not the population in general but
Zionist professors and students railing against Palestinians.

Furthermore,

[M. Friedman]:

"but most Jews I know (not on the left) don't buy into the precepts of
Zionism: i.e., racial exclusivity, dispossession of the Palestinians,
etc. They accept the view that Jews have the right to a secure homeland,
which is Israel, and that Palestinians or Palestinian groups, to one
degree or another, are the aggressors."

Which amounts to same damn thing. I doubt it is necessary to recall here
over whose bodies and whose property the "secure homeland, which is
Israel" was "secured" in the first place. Why should a thief be "secure"
in his aggrandizement? How does a man who demands the return of half his
house which has been annexed by his neighbor become an "aggressor"? Only
if he is an inferior who is not entitled to his own land and must
therefore be dispossessed.

Security for Israel depends upon securing justice for its victims:
monetary compensation, or some form of right of return, and a viable
state comprising at the least all post-1967 land with mutual and minor
exchanges.

The question as always is what is under discussion when speaking of the
right to exist. Certainly the Jewish community has a right to exist,
like any other community. But the racist system constructed in Israel
has no right to exist other than the one afforded by crushing military
power. As long at that system exists, as long as it continues consuming
Palestinian land and pushing people into ghettoes and camps, talking
about Israeli security is absurd.